Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New York City goth club review for Underworld



Underworld is at The Sullivan Room bar.  The Sullivan Room is in Manhattan's West Village.  It is a small downstairs lounge that has a long full bar and a big raised seating area.  It looks like a hotel lobby with a bar attached.  There is large furniture for lounging, but you get the feeling that you should be coming or going.  It doesn't make you feel like it's a place to be in.  It felt uncomfortable.  I also thought that the Underworld music was very obvious and common. Too obvious, too common.  It's the type of place that you will hear Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Combichrist all back to back.  It's the sort of style that they have out in Ohio or the midwest.  It wasn't interesting enough for me.   The DJs were all drinking heavily and I couldn't get my requests to them.  Drinking is dandy, but please give a girl a little respect.  I stood and waited through song after song until I gave up and danced to a routine club song.  It was strange to dance there, since the shape of the room and the lighting didn't make sense.  People kept walking through the place for dancing.   Underworld gave me a weird vibe.  The staff were not very friendly. I felt pressured by them to buy drinks. The people that came to the event were a mix of different types.  I saw a steampunk, a few goths, two grunge rockers, many rivetheads and even some old cybergoths.  About half of the people were not very dressed up.  A few looked like they could be into hip hop. *shrug*

I'll give Underworld a star for their diverse fans and half a star for their music.  They get no stars for their ambiance, their bar or their staff.

Underworld 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete