Monday, January 28, 2013

New York City goth club review for Temptation / Defcon


Temptation and Defcon are both at The Pyramid nightclub.  The Pyramid is on Avenue A in Manhattan's East Village.  The venue is very old and it looks it.  The bouncer is charming and the club is crowded.  Upstairs is Temptation.  Temptation is an 80s new wave night that also plays some of the more trendy modern synthpop songs.  It is really full of fairly ordinary college kids and they are having great time dancing and being sloppy drunks.  They have a fairly good sized dancefloor and vintage lighting effects.  There are also lots of old looking decorations like paintings of band members.   They advertise with a picture of Robert Smith of The Cure on their flyers, but make no mistake, it's a very pop sort of night, so don't expect any underground songs or anything that you haven't heard on VH1.  Most of the night is filled with bands like Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson.
Downstairs is Defcon.  Defcon is completely different from Temptation. They play the most extreme Industrial in New York City.  I was told that if I came earlier, I could hear more variety, but as it was I arrived later and it was a very new sounding set.  Again, I am not really a fan of industrial, so I couldn't get into either way, but the crowd there loved it. About that crowd, I don't like to sound mean, but they gave me the impression that they were very low income industrial fans.  There were also some scary fetish people that had a trashy edge about them.  I kept my purse close the whole time.

I'll give Temptation / Defcon a star for it's location, another star for it's nice staff members and one more for it's yummy cheap drinks.  As a Goth girl, I can't give them any stars for the music or the crowd, so it's a total of 3 full stars.

Temptation / Defcon 

5 comments:

  1. I would describe the crowd at Defconmore along the lines of everybody who's anybody in the industrial scene. Perhaps they gave you the impression they were low income because they spend more of their money on music and the gear to make it than on the latest fashions from Tripp or whatever overpriced "scene" clothing line the kids are wearing these days. Perhaps you should learn more about the industrial scene at large before deciding to do reviews of their club nights. While you opinion is valid, it is also uninformed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry if I touched a nerve, but you must know I am right about this. It's so obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't. If it's "so obvious" please state how you came to this conclusion. Also, there is a revolving cast of regulars, so really judging any night on the basis of one visit seems to be jumping the gun a bit. Are you very new to the New York scene? I only ask because I've never met you, and you speak of really all the nights you've reviewed as if you've only been there the once. If you came to Defcon more often you would know how blatantly untrue that statement was. Not saying you should, since you've stated you don't like industrial so really I don't see how you could ever enjoy yourself there, but then that would be the reason to perhaps not review industrial parties on a goth blog. Also, as someone who knows, I'll let your readers know that for a FACT last week's prime time set was all 80's and 90's old school (prime time for the NYC scene being 12:30-2:00). Again, you should make sure you are speaking from a place of knowledge if you're reviewing things for public consumption. The NYC Industrial scene has been trying for over a decade to have a truly elite industrial night only to be beset by petty egos, clueless promoters, and primadonna DJ's. So yeah, when we finally get one, it does touch a nerve when some goth chick who admits to not even liking industrial writes an uninformative review that boils down to the music is all new, and implies that we're a bunch of poor people who are going to steal your shit. It's not like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete