Monday, January 28, 2013

New York City goth club review for Contempt



Contempt is located in the basement below a hip hop event at The Delancey nightclub.  The Delancey is by the Williamsburg bridge in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.  It's not very hard to find and there are some subways close by.  Contempt is made by a panel of organizers with a chairperson who leads them.  When you arrive, you get the feeling that it's run that way too. The organizers are also a large portion of the people that are there.  Weird, right?   I was worried that people wouldn't be dressed up, since there was no dresscode, but everyone that was there put some effort into it and no one looked like a mundane.  I was happy about that, but I would have liked it if their crowd were physically better looking.  Most of the people at Contempt were overweight or awkward.  I think a majority were wearing thick glasses too.  There was something eerie about it.
About the music; I was surprised and disappointed that Contempt plays mostly industrial.  I think that you might like it if you are an older rivethead, but it wasn't what I like.  They also played some weird 90s indie songs that didn't fit in or make much sense with the rest of the DJ set, but the Contempt fans went wild dancing to them.   I just shook my head and went to the "bar".  The Contempt bar isn't really a full bar since it's about the size of a bookcase, but the bartender was friendly and fast.  There was also no line for drinks and they had the yummy drinks that I wanted.  My friend was upset about the prices and the beer selection, but I thought it was reasonable.
So, I think Contempt wins a star for their bartender and one for it's location.  I'll also give them a half a star for their crowd. Contempt gets no stars for it's music or atmosphere.

Contempt    


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete